Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Why dailies don't bother me as much as they should

First off, let me make my opinion on dailies perfectly clear...I hate them!  They are a waste of time, and outside of the first time you do them, not fun.  The only time I don't mind repeating a quest is when I am doing it on an alt, and that is usually months apart from the last time I did it.  Doing the same quests everyday is not fun...it is boring.  I do acknowledge that that is my point of view though, so for those who love dailies, they should be in the game.  I prefer running dungeons and scenarios instead.

This goes to the crux of the current debate over dailies.  People who love dailies are thrilled that they no longer have to run dungeons or raid for gear.  That is a good thing.  But the people who liked running dungeons and raids don not like that some aspects of gearing are only viable through dailies.

I did a dungeon last night to cap valor.  It sucked!  I was the only one with raid gear, and 3 of the other 4 in my group were cheating the ilvl system to get in.  I didn't mind ilvl cheaters before, because there was always one or two other well geared players to mask that weakness in gear.  The problem is that people like me, who used to carry ilvl cheaters through dungeons, no longer do dungeons, because dailies are the more efficient and powerful option for gearing.  As such, even if I chose to not do dailies and forgoe the elder charms, my favorite way of playing is no fun anymore, so I wouldn't do that either.

Thus the problem.  And I gotta be honest, there have only been a few times I have seen the forums get this angry.  Some posters are outright mean in their denunciation of the other sides opinion.  It is bad for the player base, and bad for blizzard.  My solution...give lesser charms for all content - heroic dungeons, scenarios, dailies, pet battles, and raiding...(yes, raiding, you get 5 lesser for each boss you defeat).  That way, you get charms for every playstyle.  Also, have a quartermaster for every playstyle that sells vp gear.  A heroic dungeon QM, a scenario QM, a pet battle QM, and a daily QM.  You can even make it really hard to unlock those QM's as long as their is one for all playstyles.

I think this solution would solve the problem, but even if you disagree, it doesn't matter.  I personally don't care that Blizzard is not fixing the daily problem.  They are making some minor adjustments, but it doesn't matter that they are ignoring the problem, and people should not be rage quiting over it.  If you want to stop playing, stop...that will get the message across to blizzard (that is what happened in cata), but if you choose not to, just keep playing.

The reason I don't care if Blizzard fixes this problem is that I know they will...eventually.  The biggest problem with cata was the lack of content.  I often got frustrated because I thought Blizzard wasn't listening, but they were, they just chose to fix the problem in the next expansion rather then wasting resources to fix it now. They are again choosing not to fix it now. They could fix it nowand it would be better for two to three months, and then we would never do those dailies again...which will happen when 5.2 drops.  All that wasted dev time for a 2-3 month fix.  Instead, they are building the next expansion and making sure dailies are not the only way to get gear in that expansion.

I am sure they are ignoring the problem, knowing it will only be a problem a little while longer, like they did in cata, but they are not completely ignoring it.  As the forums rage, they are taking notes.  Mark my word, the next expansion will be different.  They made a calculated choice to make dailies important so that the whole player base would think they were content (which didn't happen in cata...firelands dailies anyone) but they are learning from that, and will not make that mistake again...especially if enough people quit over it.

The biggest problem with wow is that people want immediate fixes to problems.  If my class is broken, I want it fixed now, I don't want to have to wait until the next patch.  That is what most people say.  If the current gear model is flawed, I want it fixed now, not in the next expansion.  If there is too little content, I want more now, not in the next patch.  If there is too much content, I want some of it trivialized now, not in the next expansion.  MOP was a huge step in the right direction for the play as you want model...Blizzard just forgot that by making dailies more important they were also hurting that model.  Blizzard never fixes a problem overnight, but they usually do within a couple months of it cropping up.

So, as a result, dailies don't bother me as much as they should, because I know I will endure this a short time, like I did the ridiculously hard heroics at the start of cata (not for me, but for all the ilvl cheaters I was carrying through it), and in the end, it will be better.  Patience is a virtue, and one that the wow player base would do well to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment