Search This Blog

Monday, December 3, 2012

Hotfix nerf, and why Blizzard is getting it wrong

If you read my previous posts on the 5.1 nerf, you know I expected it to be really bad and was surprised when it wasn't so bad after all.  I even tried to defend Blizzard's motivations, but with the 30% increased mana cost to spiritweavers that just hit in a hotfix, my feeling are changing.

My problem is not with all the changes as a whole, but instead with two changes.  The first is the increased mana (now at 40% more expensive with latest hotfix).  I understand that monks were able to spam their spells rarely worrying about mana (Last time I worried about mana was when I was raiding in mostly blues when I first came back).  I also understand that a mana cost increase was needed, and if this was all it is, I would be fine, but they did something else as well, and that is what the real problem is.

Because they made mana too expensive, they compensated by making crit have a chance to double the number of mana tea stacks you get.  In my previous post, I said this was a great change, as it made crit the king stat and allowed it to regen and heal, which is good for monks.  The problem is that they obviously made our regen too good with that change (otherwise why the additional 30%), so why not revert that change.  Mastery and crit were very close before if you were in 25 man raiding or intelligent 10 man raiding, but now, they are not because our regen is dependent on more spirit (you can only get so much) and stacking crit in additon to spirit.

Here is my question.  Why couldn't blizzard leave out the crit change and let mastery and crit still be competitive.  Raise the mana cost but by less then 40% so I still have the chance to pick the stats that best suits my style, rather then being forced to pick crit because if I don't I will oom in a fight too early, despite having good regen.  I haven't tested this in a real raid, so maybe my feeling will be different wednesday, but in the lfr's I did, I had to be very careful how I cast or I would oom way too early in the fight.  Here's hoping blizz can get this right somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment